It is thought that the Dutch name Speculaas comes from the latin 'speculum' that means mirror.
Traditionally speculaas biscuits are the mirror image of the carved wooden moulds they are baked in.
Windmill shaped speculaas biscuits are known throughout the whole world, as are male or female speculaas figurines.
These days speculaas biscuits can take any shape or form. But you can do so much more with speculaas spice than just making biscuits.
Find out more about the delicious recipes you can make using vandotsch speculaas spice mix.
Double click to insert body text here...
vandotsch speculaas chocolate date balls
Speculaas chocolate date balls are easy to make and will surprise your family and friends.
According to Habeeb Salloum in his “Sweet Delights in a thousand and one nights – The story of traditional Arab Sweets” date balls were originally made by Arabian Bedouin tribes using stoned dates, curd and clarified butter. Over the centuries and with the Arab empire heading west and east new ingredients were added, such as sugar, almonds and pistachios.
Based on their recipe I started experimenting adding vandotsch speculaas spice as well as coating the date balls in rich dark chocolate.
What follows is an overview of the ingredients I used to make vandotsch speculaas chocolate date balls, including:
Makes approximately 20 - 25 balls
- 8 – 10 big Medjool dates
- 75g ground almonds
- 100g dark chocolate
- 2 tsp vandotsch speculaas spice mix
- Remove the pits by cutting the dates open and place them in a bowl
- Cut the dates in small bits. Mix in the speculaas spice and ground almond
- Using your hands, take some of the speculaas date mixture and rub into a small ball
- Repeat for all the remaining mixture
- Break up the dark chocolate, place it in a small pan and melt ‘bain au marie’.
- Once melted, dip your date balls in the chocolate; allow overflow to drip back in the pan
- Place on a plate covered with baking sheet. Repeat for all the date balls
- Let it cool. Once cold put in the fridge for the date balls to firm up.
vandotsch Speculaas Chocolate Recipes
How to make vandotsch speculaas chocolate date balls
Other Speculaas chocolate Recipes: